Coronavirus Transition FAQs – Who to Talk to

Who can answer questions such as what time does the day start, will my child attend part time, or will lunch be provided?

You should be kept well informed through regular contact with your child’s or young person’s early years setting, school or college.

Check their website for updates or contact them directly if you cannot find what you are looking for. Please be patient at this time as you may not get an answer immediately.

I don’t know anybody; when will I get to meet the teacher or talk to the SENCO?

Early years settings, schools and colleges will be working hard to arrange opportunities to talk with you and share information; this could be by phone, Facetime or Zoom.

Who should I talk to about my concerns regarding my child or young person starting?

Contact the early years setting, school or college directly by telephone or email. Key staff will want to build relationships with you.

Will the new early years setting, school or college know my child or young person has SEND?

Your current setting, school or college will make contact with the new setting, school or college to talk about your child or young person’s needs. If they have an Education, Health and Care plan (EHCP), a copy will be shared before they start.

I’m still waiting to hear about my child or young person’s Educational Health and Care (EHC) assessment, when will this be completed? 

The COVID-19 outbreak has had an impact on teams at Essex County Council. The SEND Operations teams will endeavour to meet as many of the SEND statutory processes and timescales as possible despite this impact.

Please keep in regular contact with your local SEND Operations team for updates.