Adult Social Care – Transport

Most people are required to make their own way to and from Adult Social Care services. Some people with additional needs may require additional support to be able to get to and from these services.

Where transport is provided by Adult Social Care at Essex County Council, it will be cost effective and sustainable.

Adult Social Care transport is provided to people who are aged 18 years old or more with:

  • Learning Disabilities and/or Autism
  • Physical and/or Sensory disabilities
  • Mental Health Difficulties
  • Older People with Additional Needs

There are different options to support people with additional needs in getting around.

Travel training

Travel training is available to help people with additional needs to travel independently on buses and trains.

Find out more about Essex Travel Training.

Motability Scheme

The Motability Scheme means people with a disability can use their mobility allowance to lease a car, mobility scooter or electric wheelchair.

People who receive one of the following can apply for the scheme:

  • Higher Rate Mobility Component of DLA
  • Enhanced Rate Mobility Component of PIP

Essex County Council does not pay for any fuel costs associated with using Motability vehicles.


Essex County Council will establish if the following applies:

  • You receive the higher rate mobility component of DLA
  • You receive the enhanced rate mobility component of PIP as a direct payment
  • You contribute towards a shared community vehicle
  • A family member or friend can provide transport
  • You can walk, cycle or travel independently on public or community transport

How decisions are made

You may have an assessment during the Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) planning stage if required.  This assessment is carried out by a professional working with you or your advocate, for example a social worker.

Alternatively, you may have a social care assessment for your needs under the Care Act 2014.

The person undertaking any assessment will request transport on your behalf, if they believe you have no other way of getting to and from services.

Who the service provides for

People aged 18 years old and above who have a learning disability, autism, physical and/or sensory disability, mental health difficulty or older person with additional needs.

How the service is accessed

Referral is by a professional working with an adult; this could be a social worker or other relevant person.

Phone number

0345 603 2200

Operational locations

  • Essex


County Hall
Market Road