Adult Social Care – Transport
Most people are required to make their own way to and from Adult Social Care services. Some people with additional needs need additional support to be able to get to and from these services.
Where transport is provided by Adult Social Care at Essex County Council, it will be cost effective and sustainable.
Adult Social Care transport is provided to people aged from 19 years old with:
- learning disabilities
- physical disabilities
- mental health difficulties
There are different options to support people with additional needs in getting around.
Travel training is available to help people with additional needs to travel independently on buses and trains.
The Motability Scheme means people with a disability can use their mobility allowance to lease a car, mobility scooter or electric wheelchair.
People who receive one of the following can apply for the scheme:
- higher rate mobility component of DLA
- enhanced rate mobility component of PIP
Essex County Council does not pay for any fuel costs associated with using Motability vehicles.
Essex County Council will not provide transport if the following applies:
- you receive the higher rate mobility component of DLA
- you receive the enhanced rate mobility component of PIP as a direct payment
- you contribute towards a shared community vehicle
- a family member or friend can provide transport
- you can walk, cycle or travel independently on public or community transport
How decisions are made
Adult Social Care will complete a needs assessment during the Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) planning stage. This assessment is carried out by a social worker in partnership with you, or your advocate.
The social worker will request transport on your behalf, if they believe you have no other way of getting to and from Adult Social Care services.
Who the service provides for
19 year olds and above with a learning disability, physical disability or mental health difficulty.
How the service is accessed
Social worker referral
Phone number0345 603 2200