Free Bus Passes for Disabled People
If you live in Essex, are disabled and qualify under the criteria in the Transport Act 2000, you may be eligible for free off-peak bus travel.
Who can get a disabled persons pass
- are blind or partially sighted
- are profoundly or severely deaf
- are without speech
- have a disability or have suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long term adverse effect on their ability to walk
- do not have arms or have long term loss of use of both arms
- have complex/severe learning disabilities which means they have “an arrested state of development” before adulthood
- are unable to drive for reasons of medical fitness
How long does a pass last for?
Your pass is valid for up to 5 years. The expiry date is printed on the front of your pass. Expired passes are replaced free of charge. You may have to re-evidence your disability at renewal.
How to apply
Download an application form for a disabled persons bus pass at the bottom of this page and send to the address on the form.
Apply online – this will take you to an online application system.
Collect an application form from your local library.
Call 0345 200 0388 for an application form or for help completing one.
An Essex companion pass is available for those who have difficulty travelling without assistance. For more information call 0345 200 0388 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Phone number0345 200 0388