Good Beginnings Parent Workshops
Preschool Specialist Teachers coordinate and lead the delivery of parent workshops for parents of preschool children, following diagnosis of autism or social communication difficulties as part of the Essex early years autism programme, Good Beginnings.
The Good Beginnings programme of parent workshops enables parents to:
- understand their child’s social communication difficulties
- learn strategies to develop their child’s communication and social interaction
- understand and manage their child’s behaviour effectively
- meet other parents whose children have similar difficulties
Other professionals are involved as and when appropriate.
The workshops are typically delivered over 10 weeks and include the following topics:
- Understanding social communication difficulties
- Developing your child’s communication
- Sensory difficulties
- Developing your child’s play skills
- Everyday living skills and independence
- Understanding your child’s behaviour
- Putting it into practice
If you wish to find out more information about the workshops, please see the leaflet.
Dates, times and locations of forthcoming Good Beginnings Parent workshops can be found here, as well as information on how to express your interest.
Who the service provides for
The Good Beginnings Parent Workshops are offered to parents of Essex preschool children who are newly diagnosed with autism or social communication difficulties.
Hours of operation
The Good Beginning Parent Workshops are available throughout the year, typically during term-time dates.
How the service is accessed
Consultant Paediatricians, or designated medical officers, refer families to the Good Beginnings Parent Workshops, following a multi-disciplinary assessment which confirms a diagnosis of autism or social communication difficulties. Parents may self-refer via an Expression of Interest form. Upon receipt of a referral/expression of interest, parents will be contacted by a member of the Good Beginnings team.