Hearing Impairment (HI) Service

If your child or young person has a hearing impairment (hearing loss), the Hearing Impairment (HI) team might work with them and you to support and give advice.  The team are part of the Physical and Sensory Impairment Specialist Teaching Service at Essex County Council.

The team has:

  • Lead Teacher of the Deaf and Educational Audiologist
  • Senior Teacher of the Deaf
  • Multi Sensory Impairment (MSI) Teacher
  • Teachers of the Deaf
  • Sensory Support Specialists
  • British Sign Language instructors

Children and young people and their families

The team support children and young people aged 0 to 25 with HI and their families, including:

  • audiology advice and support
  • home visits to assess and keep track of how well your pre-school child is doing
  • local groups – Children with Hearing Impairment Play and Stay (CHIPS)
  • advice and support on listening development, language development, literacy development, social and emotional development and audiological needs
  • identifying what help they need
  • British Sign Language instruction for children and young people
  • advice for One Planning and EHC plans on what your child or young person needs
  • advice and support when your child or young person moves from one educational setting to another

Schools and settings

The team support schools and settings too.  They can provide:

  • advice on helping children with HI to access the curriculum or exams
  • specialist equipment – hearing aid accessories, radio aids or sound-field systems
  • training on how to use specialist equipment
  • advice on making changes so that your child or young person can take part at school (reasonable adjustments)
  • general HI awareness training
  • training around the specific needs of your child with HI in their setting or school

Deciding on support for your child or young person

The team use the NatSIP Eligibility Framework when they are deciding how to support your child or young person with hearing loss.

Who the service provides for

Children and young people who have been diagnosed by a hearing specialist and/or have specialist equipment such as hearing aids.

Hours of operation

Term time only

How the service is accessed

Hearing specialists or professionals from Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) services usually refer your child or young person. Sometimes pre-schools, schools or post-16 settings will refer your child or young person.

Families cannot refer children directly but the team are always happy to speak to you. Please indicate which team your query or referral is for when emailing the service: HI, VI or PNI.

Operational locations

  • Essex


County Hall
Market Road