Social Care for Young Adults

The Young People with Disabilities Team (16 to 25 year olds) provide advice, guidance, support and interventions to young people with disabilities and their families.

They use person centred approaches to understand what is important to and for young people and their families across all areas of their lives.  They also work holistically with health and education partners and independent providers.

Working age adults

When you turn 18 and have finished your education, you would receive support from one of the community teams, who would manage your care up until the age of 65 or over if you have learning disabilities and Autism.


When you turn 18 you may be eligible to receive some assistance in paying for transport to school or college. However, if you receive Disability Living Allowance (DLA) at the higher rate or Personal Independence Payment (PIP) at the enhance rate or you have a Motability car, you will not receive transport support.

Read more on transport.

Personal Budgets

If, after an assessment, you are entitled to a financial contribution for support from Essex County Council, this can be provided via a Personal Budget. A Personal Budget is social care money paid to you to help you to live in the way that you have identified in your support plan.

The money Essex County Council gives you towards your Personal Budget is tax-free and will not affect your benefits or income.

You can spend your Personal Budget on:

  • paying someone to support you such as a support worker or personal assistant
  • other ways of meeting your needs such as attending a college or joining a group in your local community
  • something that meets your eligible needs such as a piece of equipment or other one off purchase
  • other imaginative solutions that will help to meet your eligible needs.

Read more on Personal Budgets.

Support plan

You will then need to create a support plan to show how the Personal Budget will be used to buy the services that meet your needs. A support plan is a detailed plan that tells us about you as an individual and how you would like to use your budget to support your needs.

The support plan should be person-centred and strengths based . You can decide what your support plan will look like as long as it shows clearly what support you need and how you will use your Personal Budget to meet these needs. Essex County council will consider all your needs and who is best placed to meet those needs (not always paid support).

You can create your own plan or ask a family member, friend or informal carer to help you. You can also ask that Essex County Council supports you in preparing your plan, or you can go to an advocate or independent organisation for support.


More information

Hours of operation

Monday to Thursday, 9am to 5.30pm
Friday, 9am to 5pm

How the service is accessed

Self-referral or professional referral.