Supported Living

Supported living is housing for people with disabilities who want to live independently but may need some help and support.

Supported living housing can be:

  • shared houses, usually with 2 to 4 tenants living together with their own bedrooms and sharing a communal space
  • single occupancy units, where people have their own property within a group of other single occupancy properties. In this type of housing the landlord and the support provider are separate.

How to access

You need a social care assessment to find out your care and support needs. Adult social care will let you know if supported living is a good housing option for you.

Paying for supported living

If you move into a supported living property, you’ll have to pay rent which may include:

  • service charge to cover the property or scheme manager
  • general maintenance of the property

If you’re eligible for Housing Benefit, you might be able to claim this towards the cost of your rent.

More information

The NHS has information on supported living services.

Who the service provides for

16 year olds and above with a disability.

How the service is accessed

Social worker referral

Phone number

0345 603 7630

Operational locations

  • Essex