Resources for parents (SLCN)
The following sources of information are useful for parents of children with SLCN:
- Speechblog – a blog by two Speech & Language Therapists which includes information for parents/carers, and many articles with ideas including the ‘best toys’ for language development, how to use animal toys in therapy and how to work speech and language therapy targets into everyday routines (such as shopping and bedtime).
- ICAN children’s communication charity – an extensive website with information for parents/carers
- The Communication Trust – an organisation that provides advice on supporting children and young people with SLCN.
- Talking Point – a website which includes resources for parents/carers, and opportunities to ‘speak to a therapist’.
- Communication Station – an online resource bank of short videos (3 – 10 mins) showing simple strategies and everyday activities to encourage communication skills (produced by Wiltshire Speech and Language Therapy Department).
- Speech and language difficulties – information for parents – a parents’ guide to SLCN.