Specialist Teachers SLCN provide training to education providers to support the needs of children and young people as part of the service’s SEN training programme. Professional development opportunities are offered at different levels – awareness, enhanced and specialist.
Specialist Teachers SLCN devise and deliver bespoke training targeted at key staff in schools, as well as the whole school to ensure that staff who work with the child/young person with SLCN:
- understand the implications of SLCN
- develop their confidence and the ability to support children/young people to access the curriculum in full
- develop appropriate teaching and learning strategies
- have good classroom practice and inclusion within the class/group and whole school/setting
Specialist Teachers SLCN
- are licensed ELKLAN tutors and are able to provide the Speech and Language Support for 5 -11s course accredited at levels 2 and 3 for schools
- contribute to and deliver SLCN-related themes to the Initial Teacher Training and Newly Qualified Teacher programmes
- organise an annual Communication Connects Conference on SLCN issues, suitable for SENCOs, teaching and support staff from all settings and key stages
During visits to the school, Specialist Teachers SLCN model good practice and specific interventions as part of a ‘coaching and mentoring’ approach for school-based staff.