When an Education, Health and Care needs assessment would be considered

Many children and young people will make good progress towards their outcomes through the cycle of Assess, Plan, Do, Review (One Planning).

They will make good progress with universal and additional support.

However, some children and young people have more complex needs and need highly personalised advice and support to access learning at nursery, in school or college. You may want to consider asking the local authority for an Education, Health and Care (EHC) needs assessment if your child:

  • has complex needs and/or a life long disability;
  • is receiving support from a wide range of services;
  • is not making progress even though the support is increasing in type and amount.

An EHC needs assessment asks professionals who are supporting your child to provide comprehensive advice about how best to meet your child’s needs. If the EHC needs assessment demonstrates that a child needs a more intensive level of specialist help that cannot be met from the resources available to schools and other settings, an EHC plan is issued.  An EHC plan brings your child’s education, health and social care needs into a single, legal document.

Read more

The Essex One Planning Guide gives more detail on the One Planning process and writing a One Plan.  It is broken up into nine chapters and can easily be navigated by clicking on each of the headings on page 2.

Next step

The ‘Requesting an EHC needs assessment’ has the information, relevant forms and email addresses if you would like to make a request for assessment.