Preparing for Adulthood
Preparing for adulthood means preparing for:
- further education and/or employment
- independent living
- being involved in the local community
- being as healthy as possible
If your child has an Education, Health and Care plan (EHCP), the Year 9 annual review of their plan, and every review after that, must include a focus on preparing for adulthood.
Further education and/or employment
- Contact has information on post 16 options for people with SEND, including:
- staying at school
- colleges and specialist colleges
- apprenticeships, traineeships and supported internships
- the support available
- EHCPs after 16
- see the Pathways to Employments part of this section
- see Education section of the Essex Local Offer
- see GOV.UK information on finding a job
- this Preparing for Adulthood section has information on Shared Lives, residential housing and supported living.
- United Response has easy read money guides for people with learning disabilities.
- Dosh supports people with learning disability to manage money
- the Money Matters section on the Essex Local Offer has information on benefits, direct payments and health costs.
- see the Transport section for more information on getting around.
Being involved in the local community
- the Social Clubs part of this section lists clubs for 18s
- the Family Support and Community section has more information about community groups and support
- the Entertainment and Leisure section has ideas for days out, clubs and activities for young people
Being as healthy as possible
- see the Health section on the Essex Local Offer for information and services on keeping good health.
- Access to Work Grant
- Employability Skills and Support
- Housing - Residential Services
- Housing - Shared Lives Service
- Housing - Supported Living
- Life Skills
- Pathways to Employment - Apprenticeships
- Pathways to Employment - Social Enterprises
- Pathways to Employment - Supported Employment
- Pathways to Employment - Supported Internships
- Pathways to Employment - Traineeships
- Preparing for Adulthood Service
- Real Life Stories
- Social Clubs
- Vocational Learning
- Volunteering Opportunities
- Young People Support