Preparing for Adulthood Service
The Preparing for Adulthood (PfA) Service supports young people aged 14 to 25 with an Education, Health and Care plan, with preparing for adult life.
The Preparing for Adulthood Advisors involve the young person’s family and their school, college, or other education provision in this preparation.
PfA Advisors provide support at key transition points (such as moving from school to college, changing colleges or leaving education). They will explore:
- what a young person likes at school/college;
- their interests;
- what they are good at;
- their ideas for when they leave education.
The advice and information is unbiased so that a young person identifies the best option for them. It is focused around the four Preparing for Adulthood areas:
- education and training
- good health
- community inclusion and independent living
In year 9
In year 9, the Preparing for Adulthood team will write to the young person to introduce themselves.
They will either attend the young person’s annual review or meet with them individually.
Contact details for PfA Advisors
There is a PfA Advisor in each of the four quadrants of Essex:
- Mid Essex (Braintree, Chelmsford, Halstead and Maldon): firstname.lastname@example.org or 03330131424
- North East Essex (Colchester and Tendring): email@example.com or 03330137736
- South Essex (Basildon, Billericay, Brentwood, Castle Point, Rochford and Wickford): firstname.lastname@example.org or 03330134691
- West Essex (Epping, Harlow and Uttlesford): email@example.com or 03330321641
Who the service provides for
14 to 25 year olds with an EHCP (and young people attending college who receive Higher Needs Funding).
Hours of operation
Monday to Thursday, 9am to 5.30pm.
Friday, 9am to 5pm.